FAQs for Omega-D3 with Astaxanthin
1. Why did Dr. Connealy create this product?
Dr. Connealy stays on top of the latest research on dietary supplements, and understands the benefits of omega 3 fatty acids (particularly EPA and DHA) and Vitamin D. She saw a way to combine all of these powerful health-supporting nutrients into one unique product—Omega-D3 with Astaxanthin.
Dr. Connealy was particularly excited to find Calamarine—an omega-3 oil derived from squid rather than fish, that is naturally high in DHA, comes from a highly sustainable source (squid), and is caught using eco-friendly techniques. Most omega-3 products come from fish or krill, and most experts are concerned about the environmental impacts of overfishing these vital resources.
Vitamin D is now recognized as one of the most critical nutrients, not only for bone health, but also for immune and overall health. Yet over 1/3 of Americans are Vitamin D deficient. Limited sun exposure and the use of sunscreen limits a person's ability to produce Vitamin D, and, as we age, insufficient vitamin D is even more likely. Dietary sources of vitamin D are rare and the winter season and living at higher latitudes limits your sun exposure and increases your need for supplementation.
Astaxanthin is a naturally-occurring carotenoid that is responsible for the characteristic pink color of salmon and crustacean shells. This fat-soluble antioxidant helps fight free radicals and has been shown to protect cell membranes from lipid peroxidation.
The combination of Omega 3’s, vitamin D, and astaxanthin in this unique product offers the ideal way to get the benefits of these nutrients in one convenient formula.
2. Who should take this product?
Omega-D3 with Astaxanthin is designed for anyone looking for the combined benefits of DHA, EPA, vitamin D, and astaxanthin for cardiovascular, bone, joint, immune, and overall health.
3. What benefits should I expect from this formula?
- Helps promote normal cholesterol levels and raise HDL
- Helps promote normal triglyceride levels
- Helps maintain blood pressure levels in the normal range
- Helps maintain vascular elasticity and relax blood vessels
- Supports circulation, blood flow, and blood viscosity
- Supports the body’s ability to promote normal blood platelet aggregation
- Helps promote healthy blood vessels
- Supports endothelial function and vascular tone
- Balances prostaglandins to help promote a normal inflammatory response
- Supports overall cardiovascular health
- Supports healthy lung function
- Helps improve joint function
- Helps decrease joint stiffness
- Helps promote brain function and a healthy mood
- Helps maintain normal blood sugar levels
- Helps promote healthy skin and maintain its elasticity
- Helps reduce oxidative stress in the body
- Supports bone health
- Aids in calcium absorption
- Supports physical mobility
- Supports a healthy immune system
- Supports cellular health
- Supports colon health
- Helps the body process sugar
- Supports healthy metabolism
4. What are the ingredients and what are they good for?
||Per 3 softgels
|Concentrated Omega-3 Marine Oil (calamari)
- A highly refined, concentrated marine oil complex with a 2.5:1 ratio of DHA to EPA—the two primary omega-3 fatty acids.
|EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid)
|DHA (Docsahexanoic Acid)
- Your body cannot readily convert other fatty acids into DHA, making it extremely important for supplementation.
- New research suggests that DHA may be more the more critical omega-3, particularly for maintaining normal blood pressure and brain health.
|Other Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Omega-3 fatty acids benefit the entire body but are especially known for their cardiovascular benefits.
- Taking marine oil helps replace some of the arachidonic acid (an omega-6) in cell membranes with omega-3 fatty acids. This leads to a better ratio of essential fatty
acids which may have a major impact on a person's cardiovascular health.
- Increased consumption of omega-3 EFAs also helps to promote healthy cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and maintain normal blood pressure levels.†
- Omega-3's support arterial health by promoting proper blood vessel dilation and vascular functions.
- May help promote joint function.
- Supports healthy brain function and a positive mood.
|Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol)
||75 mcg (3000 IU)
- Vitamin D plays a crucial role in maintaining bone density and strength by aiding in the absorption of calcium and reducing the loss of calcium in the urine.
- Research shows that bone density is increased when Vitamin D supplements are taken in conjunction with calcium.
- A literature review found that Vitamin D deficiency is associated with muscle weakness and lower grip strength.
- Vitamin D is needed to help the body process sugar, and assists in other metabolic processes.
- Vitamin D plays a role in immunity and blood cell formation.
|Astaxanthin (Haematococcus pluvialis extract)
- Astaxanthin is a carotenoid that is naturally found in fish such as salmon, crustaceans, and algae. This source is naturally-derived from the algae, Haematococcus pluvialis.
- Laboratory studies suggest that it is stronger than vitamin E at inhibiting lipid peroxidation.
- Astaxanthin is able to cross the blood brain barrier to help fight free radicals and reduce oxidative stress in the brain and nervous system.
- Astaxanthin is a powerful antioxidant that protects cell membranes from peroxidation.
- A 2006 study suggested that 4 mg of astaxanthin can significantly reduce fine lines and wrinkles, help moisturize the skin and improve skin elasticity.
5. Are there any ingredient standardizations?
The highly refined and concentrated Omega-3 Marine Oil as Calamarine® (squid) is standardized to 26% EPA, 67% DHA, and 7% other omega-3 fatty acids.
6. Is the formula kosher?
7. Is the product suitable for vegetarians?
No. This product contains marine oil (squid) and gelatin. The gelatin found in the softgel is made from bovine (cow) and porcine (pig) sources. Our softgels are all pharmaceutical grade, and are made from the same gelatin that is used by leading pharmaceutical companies.
8. Is the formula free of common allergens?
The product contains shellfish (squid/calamari) and soy.
However it contains no milk or milk by-products, egg or egg by-products, fish or fish by-products, tree nuts, wheat or wheat by-products, peanuts or peanut by-products.
It contains no artificial colors or preservatives. This product is also sugar free.
This product is naturally gluten free.
9. What excipients or "other ingredients" are used in this product?
Capsule shell (gelatin, glycerin, purified water), natural lemon flavor, proprietary antioxidant blend (natural tocopherols (soy), rosemary extract, and ascorbyl palmitate)
10. Will this product cause any repeating or "fishy aftertaste" and are there any side effects associated with this product?
This product contains a highly refined and concentrated marine fish oil with a proprietary blend of antioxidants to ensure its freshness. The uniqueness of the oil and the proprietary processing give it a very clean, neutral smell and taste, so there should be no repeating or "fishy burps."
There are no known side effects associated with this product. However, as with any food product, there may be infrequent and unusual highly sensitized reactions associated with this or any other nutritional supplement. If such a reaction occurs, you should consider discontinuing use of this or any product.
11. Are there any potential warnings, reactions, or contraindications, with this product and any other medications?
Omega-D3 is generally safe for everyone to take when consuming doses of 3 grams per day and less of omega-3 fatty acids. However, if you are pregnant or lactating,
consult a health care professional before taking this product.
This product should be kept out of the reach of children.
12. Can I take this product with Dr. Connealy's other recommended nutritional supplements?
Yes, Omega-D3 is designed to be taken with all of the products in the Newport Natural Health line.
13. How should I store the product?
To preserve the quality and freshness of this product, keep the bottle tightly closed, and store it in a cool, dry place.
14. Is this product tested for lead, mercury, and other heavy metals?
Every batch of Dr. Connealy's Omega-D3 is tested for lead and heavy metals. Each batch is delivered to Newport Natural Health with a Certificate of Analysis from the manufacturer stating that the products are tested for heavy metals and are safely within the limits set by California's Proposition 65—the most stringent in the country.
15. Is this product tested for microbiological contamination?
Product safety is paramount to Newport Natural Health. Every batch of Omega-D3 is tested for microbiological contamination to prevent consumer exposure to harmful pathogens and food borne illnesses.
Each batch is delivered to Newport Natural Health with a Certificate of Analysis from the manufacturer showing that the products are free from harmful pathogens (Salmonella, E. coli, Staphylococcus, Pseudomonas), and that the yeast, mold and total plate counts are below the levels set by the USP (United States Pharmacopeia) – one of the most rigorous microbial limits in the USA.
16. How and when should I take this product?
Take one (1) softgel three (3) times daily with a meal, or as recommended by your healthcare professional.
17. How many capsules are in the bottle?
90. Taken as recommended, each bottle is a 30 day supply of the supplement.